This wonderful homemade Alfredo dish only takes 10 to 15 minutes of prep and bakes in the oven for 20 minutes.
I am always so excited to share some quick and easy recipes with my fellow moms every month. And this Alfredo baked pasta is one of my family’s very favorite quick meals. One pot and one pan are my ultimate favorites because that means fewer dishes for me, but I also enjoy recipes that may dirty a few more dishes.
This Alfredo recipe tops out at three dirty dishes, which really is not a terrible amount to handle — even on a weeknight.
Most noteworthy, what makes this particular recipe so wonderful is that it can be more complicated, so to speak, or super simple. There is an option to cook the chicken and the Alfredo sauce at home or they can be purchased in store. I may not feel like cooking chicken, so I will purchase a rotisserie chicken or I may feel like skipping out on homemade Alfredo sauce and just purchase a jar at the grocery store.
So it is totally up to the chef and the amount of time available on which route to go for this recipe.
For the pasta:
- 12 oz. penne (or ziti, bowties, etc.)
- 2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken (I seasoned mine with Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, and pepper); rotisserie chicken works well too
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- optional for serving: shredded Parmesan, dried or fresh parsley
For the Alfredo sauce*:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
*Alternatively, you can use a jar of Alfredo sauce to save time
- In a large stockpot, cook penne al dente according to package directions. Drain and add back to stockpot.
- Meanwhile, if you decide to make the homemade Alfredo, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add flour and whisk to combine. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth until smooth. Then whisk in milk and bring to a simmer.
- Let cook until it thickens for 1 minute and stir in Parmesan cheese until it melts. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Add chicken and Alfredo sauce to stockpot and stir until pasta is coated.
- Pour half of the pasta mixture into a greased 9×13-inch baking dish. Top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Then pour the rest of the pasta on top and top with the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375F degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes until cheese melts and begins to turn golden.
- Finally, serve topped with additional toppings, if desired.
Recipe from Gimme Some Oven.