Fall is here, and with it comes new places to explore, adventures to go on, and fun-filled activities to try. Whether your family likes to make a fall “bucket list” of things to do before the season ends or you have a few family favorites you’ve done year after year, here are 20 simple activity suggestions to get you out there enjoying the season…
1. Go on a nature walk. There are lots of great parks in Knoxville, but your own backyard is a fun place to explore too.
2. Visit a corn maze. This is always a fall favorite!
3. Collect leaves for leaf rubbings or crafts. My kids love collecting acorns and pine cones too. Crafts don’t get much easier than the classic pine cone bird feeder or a collage of leaf rubbings.
4. Pick apples or pumpkins at a local pick-your-own farm. This is a great opportunity to get some cute fall photos of your kids too.
5. Bake an apple or pumpkin pie. When I was growing up, my momma always made her pies from scratch even down to straining her own pumpkin puree. Family and friends dubbed them Sharon’s Pilgrim Pies. Baking with your kids is the stuff of memories whether the pies are from scratch or you take a few shortcuts along the way.
6. Go on a hayride. Local farms and festivals almost always offer these. Find someone with the right equipment and you can even organize your own neighborhood hayride for the kids.
7. Carve or decorate pumpkins. Each family member can decorate their own even making it a contest. My little ones aren’t old enough to carve their own, so I let them draw the faces last year and went behind them to carve out what they had drawn.
8. Roast pumpkin seeds. Coat the seeds in a little oil and either salt or cinnamon. Lay them on a baking sheet and cook on 350 degrees for about 12 minutes. Turn them over once during cooking. Let them cool and then the snacking can begin!
9. Enjoy a fall picnic.
10. Visit the library and check out fall themed books.
11. Roast marshmallows over a fire pit on a cool fall evening. Why not make a few s’mores too?!
12. Set up a fall family photo shoot. This is a great time to capture your family on camera with fall’s natural beauty as the backdrop.
13. Make caramel apples! Give them an extra twist by throwing in some toppings like nuts or cookie crumbles.
14. Visit a farmer’s market for locally grown, seasonal crops.
15. Spend the day at a fall festival.
16. Make a fall treat to give to a neighbor or friend.
17. Donate cans to a canned food drive or place that accepts food donations to feed the homeless and hungry.
18. Make a fall craft.
19. Dress up and go Trick or Treating at neighborhood and community events. Knoxville Center Mall, West Town Mall, Horse Haven in Hardin Valley, Safety City, UT Gardens, Knoxville Zoo, and several other locations all host Trick or Treat events each year.
20. As Thanksgiving draws closer, start making a list of all the things your family is thankful for. Have the ongoing list in a place where everyone will see it–on the refrigerator or a chalkboard in your home.
I’m thankful for the opportunity to enjoy this wonderful season with family and friends!
What are your family’s favorite fall activities? We would love to hear about them!