Everything you need to know before taking your first class at NEIGHBORHOOD barre.
First and foremost, showing up is half the battle, so we have created this step-by-step guide to make the other half a little easier for you. Starting with expelling common myths about barre class.
- You do not have to be ‘SKINNY’ or ‘IN SHAPE’ in order to do class. If you’ve never attended a class at Nb, you probably have a vision of a room full of perfect bodies prancing around in perfectly coordinated athleisure wear. WRONG. Every NEIGHBORHOOD barre studio hosts a range of clientele. All shapes, sizes, fitness levels, etc. You can wear anything from the latest Lulu top to your favorite t-shirt (just no running shorts), so no need to feel self-conscious about the outfits. Plus, how do you think the women around you got those lean and toned muscles? FROM COMING TO CLASS! So don’t let the image keep you from trying a class. We all have to start somewhere!
- You do not have to be ‘RICH’ to do barre. We offer a range of packages and discounts for teachers, students, new moms, and nurses. Consider your classes an investment in your mental and physical health. We are more affordable, with oftentimes better results, than a personal trainer. Our motivational staff and the fact that you are booking an appointment to take a class, help keep you accountable, unlike your auto-draft gym membership that you use how many times last year?
So, now that we have those nasty rumors out of the way, here’s what to expect from your in-studio experience at NEIGHBORHOOD barre:
- You will be greeted at the door by a smiling face, who will most likely be your instructor.
- If you are dropping a child off in kid-care, expect a complete melt down. Don’t worry – no one is judging you or your child, and our childcare helpers are more than prepared!
- Your instructor will assist you in the set up of your mat and resistance equipment. While you may question the light load, barre is unique in that you push the muscle group you are working to a place where you feel a “catch” or tightness and then work from there.
- The infamous SHAKE. Don’t let it deter you. Do not stop because you are shaking! Shaking means you are fatiguing your muscles, the very basis of our technique and what creates the change in the shape of your body! Over time your shake will become more controlled and less of a convulsion!
- Terminology – we say funny words in class like ‘tuck,’ ‘pulse,’ ‘kick,’ and ‘curl.’ What do these mean?! Watch your instructor and listen! The more classes you take, the more the moves will make sense. And don’t be afraid to ask questions after class!
- The feeling of being ‘out of shape.’ No matter your fitness level, when performing the exercises correctly, you should completely fatigue every muscle group. So whether you’re a runner, cross fitter, or haven’t worked out since high school, there is something for everyone at NEIGHBORHOOD barre.
NEIGHBORHOOD barre classes are designed for everyone! We do say funny words and do weird moves, but the bottom line is this: There is no other workout that will change the shape of your body as quickly, without putting undue stress on your joints. It is safe for all ages and pre/post natal, yet challenging enough for marathon runners and weights lifters! We hope you find this guide to your first class helpful, and meet us at the barre soon! You can purchase a free class at either Knoxville studio with promo code “2011.”