Fall is in the air. I can feel it creeping in the late afternoon. I see it prowling across the yard through the early morning fog. Soon Halloween will be here (the stores are already prepared for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas)!
This post is a down and dirty guide to some simple Halloween activities for the whole family to get in the mooooooood for All Hallow’s Eve. This year, I am challenging all the Mammas to Make it Gross Mom!
- Shrunken heads: When I was a kid, we used to take apples, carve them, and dry them out. Over time they formed these really cool “shrunken heads” like the ones pictured below. These are super fun!
- Boo Bombs: Crack the top of an egg, empty it, rinse it, and dry it. Fill it with powder or glitter and tape the top of the egg with white Washi tape. Use a black marker to draw ghost faces. Throw these around outside to create clouds of ghostly fog!
- Crayon Pumpkins: Save those crayons from restaurants, tear off the paper, place them on top of a pumpkin and lay them out in the sun. Over the course of the day, the crayons will melt creating a colorful display!
- Booger Slime: You can make slime or buy slime at the dollar store. To make it a booger, you can put gross things in it like googly eyeballs, wadded up toilet paper, spiders, etc. (Caution: nothing edible though unless you made homemade edible slime in which case you could add gummy worms.)
- Halloween Countdown Calendar: You and your kiddo can make a house using construction and drawing paper, like the one featured below. You could create it to be similar to an advent calendar; each window or door could represent a day leading up to Halloween which the child opens one day at a time. The parent could then find a special activity, treat, or trick for them for that day.
Family Fun (Jokes):
- What music do mummies like to listen to on Halloween? Wrap music!
- What do ghosts like to do on the playground? Ride the Scary go Round!
- Why do vampire need mouthwash? Because they have bat breath.
- How do you make a tissue dance? Put a little boogie in it!
- Which ghost is the best dancer? The Boogie Man!
- What game do ghosts like to play on Halloween? Hide-and-ghost-seek!
- What is a Vampire’s favorite fruit? A Necktarine!
- Why was the Jack-O-Lantern afraid to cross the road? It had no guts!
- Why do witches fly on brooms? Because vacuum cleaners are too heavy!
- How do you make a skeleton laugh? Tickle their funny bone!