I know that typically game day is attributed to being a “guy thing” – you know, all the guys hanging out and screaming at horrible calls made by referees. In my family, I am that guy yelling at the television. SEC football is a big thing here in the South, but I prefer the NFL, probably due to being raised mostly in the north. College football isn’t as big in Minnesota. I was raised as a die-hard Minnesota Vikings fan and, even though I don’t watch the games as much as I used to, the Vikings are still my team and I root for them whether they win or lose. And like usual, we made it to the playoffs and promptly lost our first game (against the Seahawks this year). Nick likes to rub it in my face when his favorite childhood team, the Packers, win or get further than the Vikings do, so he was gloating about the Packers winning their first playoff game. BUT it looks like they aren’t going to the Super Bowl this year either. My oldest two kids have taken a liking to watching football, so I’m sure they will try and stay up to watch the Super Bowl this year.
With the Super Bowl coming up, I am looking for some tried-and-true snack recipes for game day. I try to make something that I know my kids can eat and they love snack mixes. It was a no-brainer for me to make this Frito Snack Mix. It’s salty and sweet and crunchy and chewy. It has corn chips, cereal, a caramel-eque coating, pretzels, and M&Ms. These are all things my kids LOVE and seeing them happy makes me happy.
We will most definitely be enjoying this again for the Super Bowl. I’m predicting that it will come down to the Denver Broncos and New England Patriots and I really hope the Broncos whoop some Patriot-tail! I discovered a few more goodies in the KMB archives, like these Football Cookies from Jenna and a Super Bowl meal plan from Julie.
- 1 bag (10.5 oz.) Fritos corn chips
- 2 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 2 cups mini pretzel twists
- 1 1/2 cups nuts (I used a tin of mixed nuts)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup mini M&Ms
- In a large bowl, mix together Fritos, Chex, pretzels, and nuts.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with the sugar and corn syrup, stirring to help it a long. Bring it to a boil and boil for 4 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat.
- Pour the butter mixture over the top of the Fritos mixture and toss to coat.
- Place into a large roasting pan (or aluminum pan for easy clean up) and bake in a preheated 350F degree oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir. Bake for 8 more minutes.
- Pour contents of the roasting pan onto a parchment paper or wax paper-lined countertop and let cool.
- Break into smaller pieces and then sprinkle with M&Ms. Store in an airtight container. Keeps for about a week.
Recipe from Cookies & Cups, as seen on Recipe Girl.